Download these SOPs templates and get started on your next set of procedures. Includes sample MS Word & Excel guidelines. Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) help government organizations, emergency response operation, and clinical research organization achieve maximum safety and operational efficiency. SOPs are ‘detailed, written instructions to achieve uniformity of the performance of a specific function.’
Use these Standard Operating Procedure (SOPs) templates to plan, structure, write, and maintain your procedure documents. We designed these templates so they are flexible enough to work across business, technical, academic, and other industries. As experienced procedure writers, we’ve used these templates on consultancy projects in the USA, UK, and China for some of the largest IT firms and government agencies.
Professional SOP Templates with Sample Content
Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) help government organizations, emergency response operation, and clinical research organization achieve maximum safety and operational efficiency. SOPs are ‘detailed, written instructions to achieve uniformity of the performance of a specific function.’ A well-written SOP can be used to satisfy compliance requirements. SOPs are recommended for all procedures that pose a potential risk to the health and safety of personnel.
- Process Improvement – writing SOPs provides opportunities to refine current processes. Feedback received during this activity helps identify limitation of the current processes and potential problems that may arise.
- Regulatory requirements – SOPs help address legislative and regulatory requirements. Developing and maintaining SOPs is an effective way to address safe work practice regulations.
- Staff Performance – SOPs clearly describe what staff are expected to perform in the workplace. SOPs remove ambiguity and provide an objective mechanism for evaluating their performance.
- Standardization – SOPs identify roles and responsibilities. SOPs clarify decision-making requirements and chain of commands.
- Training material – SOPs can be used in training programs, workshops and exercises. SOPs improve the understanding of work requirements and identify potential problems.
Free How to Write Standard Operating Procedures Handbook
Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) lets you ‘operationalize’ documents such as plans, regulation, compliance, and policies. SOPs distil requirements contained in these documents into a format that can be used by staff members in their work environment.
Our template pack includes a handbook explaining how to write Standard Operating Procedures.
The guidebook includes the following sections:
- Writing Standard Operating Procedures
- Level of Detail
- Writing Style and Language
- Writing Conventions
- Numerical Information
- Component Information
- Procedure Titles
- Step Numbering
- Procedure Organization
- Revision Status
- Precautions and Limitations
- Terms, Definitions, Acronyms, and Abbreviations
- Writing Action Steps
- Writing Conditional Action Steps
What’s included in the SOP template pack?
The templates included in this pack are in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel format.
The template pack includes the following documents:
- SOP Template (Detailed) – 7 pages
- SOP Single Template – 1 page
- SOP Writing Guidebook – 11 pages
- Sample – RFP Pre-Issuance Procedure – 7 pages
- SOP Log Book 7 pages
BONUS Excel Spreadsheets
3 Excel files will help you manage document control, clarifications that arise during the analysis phase and monitoring roles and responsibilities.
- SOP Document Control – spreadsheet
- SOP Team Plan – spreadsheet
- SOP Clarifications – spreadsheet